Former two-title Pride champion Dan Henderson has signed a four-fight deal with Strikeforce, Henderson’s business partner and friend Aaron Crecy told MMAWeekly.com on Monday. AOL Fanhouse was first to report the signing.
Henderson, 39, could contend for a Strikeforce title in April on card to be broadcast by CBS, said another source with knowledge of negotiations. It is unknown whether his first fight would be in the 185 or 205-pound division.
Jack Shields, the manager/father of current middleweight champion Jake Shields, was open to a bout with Henderson, but hadn’t spoken to Strikeforce as of Monday morning. He said Shields was still deciding whether to fight at welterweight or middleweight, and added Shields’ contract with the promotion ended in mid-June.
Henderson became a free agent in August and was unable to come to terms with the UFC on a new contract. UFC president Dana White repeatedly claimed Henderson was asking for too much money during re-negotiations, a claim which Henderson and Crecy steadfastly denied.
"UFC’s got a business to run and I’m not doing charity work with this,” Henderson told MMAWeekly in October. “I don’t believe that I’m asking for too much money, and I know for a fact that I’m taking less money than other fighters.”
Crecy said the UFC reached out to Henderson last week but no deal was made.
Henderson last appeared in July, knocking out fellow “Ultimate Fighter” season nine coach Michael Bisping at UFC 100. He went 3-2 in a 22-month stint inside the Octagon.
Strikeforce Director of Communications Mike Afromowitz confirmed that Henderson had signed over the weekend but did not disclose details on the deal.
(EDITOR’S NOTE: This story was updated at 10:10 P.S.T. to include statements from Afromowitz, Shields, and a quote from Henderson)
Well Dana White this is what you get for being an Ass, you will #fail like the rest, bye bye